This month’s Cowboy Charcoal featured recipe for a smoked whole chicken is simple but delicious. This recipe uses the whole bird and relies on Oak & Hickory Lump Charcoal and Pecan chunks for a tasty and mild smoky flavor. Watch the video for a full demonstration.
- 4 to 5 lbs Whole Chicken
- 2 tbsp Oil or butter, softened
- 3 tbsp Spiceology Rotisserie Chicken
- 3 tbsp Jack Daniels® Chicken Rub
- 8oz beer
- Roasted Garlic
- Grilled Lemons
- Fresh herbs
- Allow chicken to come to temp 1 hour before ready to cook, pat dry, check the internal cavity, and remove the gizzards and neck bone.
- Rub the chicken under the skin and all over with butter
- Liberally season with rotisserie and chicken rub making sure to sprinkle inside the cavity and under the skin.
- Arrange the chicken on a cupcake tin or on a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Preheat smoker to 350. We used Cowboy Oak & Hickory Lump Charcoal with Cowboy Charcoal Pecan Chunks Add a small 3×5’ pan with beer over the cooler side of the grill.
- Place the grill grates back on the grill.
- Cook for 90 minutes or until chicken temps 165 at the meatiest part.
- Allow resting 20 minutes before slicing.
This recipe of the month is an online exclusive for Western Life Today brought to you by Cowboy Charcoal. Click to subscribe to Western Life Today!