This month’s Cowboy Charcoal featured recipe for a smoked whole chicken is simple but delicious. This recipe uses the whole bird and relies on Oak & Hickory Lump Charcoal and Pecan chunks for a tasty and mild smoky flavor. Watch the video for a full demonstration.
- 4 to 5 lbs Whole Chicken
- 2 tbsp Oil or butter, softened
- 3 tbsp Spiceology Rotisserie Chicken
- 3 tbsp Jack Daniels® Chicken Rub
- 8oz beer
- Roasted Garlic
- Grilled Lemons
- Fresh herbs
- Allow chicken to come to temp 1 hour before ready to cook, pat dry, check the internal cavity, and remove the gizzards and neck bone.
- Rub the chicken under the skin and all over with butter
- Liberally season with rotisserie and chicken rub making sure to sprinkle inside the cavity and under the skin.
- Arrange the chicken on a cupcake tin or on a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Preheat smoker to 350. We used Cowboy Oak & Hickory Lump Charcoal with Cowboy Charcoal Pecan Chunks Add a small 3×5’ pan with beer over the cooler side of the grill.
- Place the grill grates back on the grill.
- Cook for 90 minutes or until chicken temps 165 at the meatiest part.
- Allow resting 20 minutes before slicing.